How to Control the coffee extraction

How to Control the coffee extraction

The 60-40 rule
A 60-40 pour-over is a coffee brewing method where 60% of the water is added initially and the rest (40%) is gradually poured in a circular motion over the coffee grounds. This method is used to control the coffee extraction and to achieve a balanced and consistent flavor profile. The pour-over process also allows for the barista to have control over the brewing time, water temperature, and the flow rate of the water, leading to a customized and superior cup of coffee.

The 60/40 blend of coffee to water ratio has a long history in the coffee-making world, but it is difficult to pinpoint the exact origin of this specific ratio. However, it is likely that the 60/40 blend came into use as a way to ensure a balanced and flavorful cup of coffee.

In the early days of coffee-making, the process was often crude and the water-to-coffee ratio varied greatly. As coffee-making techniques improved and the appreciation for good coffee grew, the 60/40 blend became a widely accepted standard for brewing coffee.

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, coffee-making became a science and many coffee makers and roasters developed specific recipes for brewing coffee using the 60/40 blend. This ratio became a staple in coffee shops and restaurants, and it remains a popular choice for coffee lovers around the world.

Brewing Pour Over Coffee at balcony

Today, the 60/40 blend of coffee to water ratio is used in various forms of coffee-making, including French press, pour-over, and drip coffee makers. It is considered the perfect balance of water and coffee to produce a rich, flavorful cup of coffee


Arabica and Robusta Blend
Colombian and African Blend
Dark and Medium Roast Blend
Light and Medium Roast Blend
South American and Central American Blend
French and Italian Roast Blend
High Altitude and Low Altitude Blend
Rainforest Alliance and Fair Trade Blend
Bold and Smooth Blend


A 60/40 blend of coffee refers to a mixture of 60% Arabica beans and 40% Robusta beans. This blend is used for several purposes, such as:

Espresso: The 40% Robusta beans add a rich crema and a bold flavor, making this blend perfect for espresso.
Drip coffee: The 60% Arabica beans add a smooth, nuanced flavor to the coffee, while the Robusta beans provide a stronger kick, making this blend suitable for drip coffee.
Blended coffee drinks: This blend is used in popular coffee drinks such as lattes, cappuccinos, and mochas, providing a balanced flavor and body.
Budget-friendly coffee: The Robusta beans are less expensive than Arabica beans, making this blend a budget-friendly option for coffee shops and cafes.

Why people prefer 60/40 blend of coffee

Flavor Balance: 60/40 blend is a balance between a bold and smooth flavor. The 60% portion typically contains darker, full-bodied coffee while the 40% is lighter, milder coffee. This creates a harmonious balance of flavors that many people find to be enjoyable.
Consistency: The 60/40 blend ensures that the flavor profile remains consistent from cup to cup, as long as the blend is sourced from the same regions and roasted in a similar manner.
Aroma: The 60/40 blend has a rich and inviting aroma that is perfect for waking up your senses in the morning or enjoying a warm cup of coffee during the day.
Versatility: This blend is suitable for a variety of brewing methods and can be enjoyed as a standalone cup of coffee or used as the base for specialty drinks like lattes or cappuccinos.
Cost Effective: A 60/40 blend can be an economical option compared to single origin coffee, as it allows the roaster to use a mix of high-quality and lower-priced beans to create a well-rounded flavor profile